Dental implants can be used to replace a single lost tooth or to secure a dental bridge or full and partial dentures. Implants offer a permanent and secure restoration that looks and functions like natural teeth. At Tyma Trachtenberg Dental, we recommend dental implants over removable restorations because implants replace the tooth at the root.
Before every treatment, we evaluate the teeth and gums and take your oral health needs, budget, and cosmetic goals into account. We work with you as an individual to find solutions to your dental health problems. Our Doylestown, PA dental team will walk you through the implant process and help ensure your recovery is smooth and comfortable.
Why Choose Dental Implants?
There are several key factors to take into consideration when choosing the best option for tooth replacement. During a consultation, we will discuss your oral health needs with you and help you make an informed decision. Important considerations include:
- Cost: Although removable dentures cost less than dental implants upfront, they will also need to be replaced, realigned, or rebased. The costs of these maintenance treatments can add up over time. Alternatively, dental implants can last forever if they are taken care of properly.
- Facial sagging: If you have many missing teeth, this can create a sunken appearance in the face. Removable dentures and dental implants both help keep the natural shape of your face. However, dental implants look more like natural teeth as they can be color-matched.
- Eating: Removable dentures do not restore 100% of the normal chewing function, unlike dental implants. Oftentimes, dentures may slip when you eat and may not fit correctly, Many patients with removable dentures are worried about their restoration falling out.
- Bone Loss: If you’re missing a tooth or multiple teeth, this can cause bone loss and deterioration to the jawbone. Implants are the only dental restoration that stimulates the jaw bone and bone growth.
- Fit: Removable dentures, require the application of adhesive every time you wear them. Because dental implants are surgically implanted into the jawbone, they can be treated like normal teeth. Also, dentures may feel uncomfortable and bulky because they may cover a large portion of your mouth with plastic.
- Care: Dentures can possibly break if they dropped and are not allowed to dry out. Dental implants require the same care as your natural teeth. Implants can be brushed and flossed normally.